Beckett introduces the slippery nature of memory on the very first page, when Molloy says to himself,
"The truth is I don't know much. For example my mother's death. Was she already dead when I came? Or did she only die later? I mean enough to bury. I don't know."Molloy is dying, and yet the details of his life have seemingly slipped away. Or, at the very least, confused themselves with other details, thus erasing this man's very personality. If one cannot remember anything, what is it one can actually know? Molloy asks the same question on page eleven when he muses,
"A and C I never saw again. But perhaps I shall see them again. But shall I be able to recognize them? And am I sure I never saw them again? And what do I mean by seeing and seeing again?"As we noted in the first week after reading Imagination Dead Imagine, Beckett's writing has a way of capturing the seemingly un-capturable human psyche. In Molloy, Beckett's ability to capture the flickering quality of memory allows the reader to question what we know, how we know it, and how these two questions help us form.
(This was written a week ago, but for some reason, I forgot to publish it. Thus, it was merely a draft until right now. - Sept 19, 2012 3:17 pm.)

While reading Beckett's work I also thought a lot about the psychology of memory. I have always been fascinated with psychology, and I agree with you about Beckett's ability to capture the human psyche. I think that that is one of the reasons that I enjoy his work so much.
ReplyDelete"I Can't Remember, Therefor I Am Not?" That's a fascinating inversion of Descarte's reasoning. Laughed my ass off, and I think it's too true.
ReplyDeleteI also think the loss of memory in relation to the death process is absolutely tragic, and a sort of death in and of itself. I've got elderly relatives with dementia and memory issues, and as twisted as it sounds you really start to lose a person as soon as they start losing themselves.