1. I wrote this after finishing The Unnameable when I thought I'd write my final paper on that particular novel:
The pairing down of language to its essentials helps differentiate between the separate identities. At the same time, the minimal nature of Beckett's writing complicates said identities, blurring the lines between them. In this way, the language is no longer minimal. Instead, the systematic stripping away of language reveals its complex simplicity. Similarly, the many identities at play in The Unnameable, complex in their plurality, become simple as, eventually, they all blur together into one.2. Here are the sentences I wrote during our exercise last Wednesday:
A. An old man determined to understand his wounds, Krapp revels in recorded moments of his youth, no matter how foreign or painful.
B. Box three, spool five contains the memory of a love lost, forcing Krapp to recognize his age and mistakes.
C. Consumed by anger when thinking of his wasted life, Krapp withers in his study, searching for a glimmer in the darkness.


No comments:
Post a Comment